It’s March! It’s almost spring and time for the cherry blossoms to begin blooming in DC…but I’m not quiteee over chili season yet!
This recipe has taken me a while to nail down… I’ve experimented with several others I’ve found out there on the internet, but I think I’ve finally got the perfect recipe down!
A note on any instant pot recipe: While I use an instant pot, not a crock pot/slow cooker, any recipe can be adapted – you just have to increase the time cooked.
Sweet Potato + Black Bean Chili RecipeTotal time: ~30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 can kidney beans (15 oz)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Optional: 1-2 tsp flour to thicken the consistency of the chili.
- Optional garnish: lime, cheese, and/or cilantro.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat olive oil in instant pot on sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions and saute for 12-15 minutes (until they begin to soften). Most instant pot recipes I’ve found say less time, but I find the potatoes to be undercooked.
- Add garlic and spices (chili powder, cumin, salt, paper, and chipotle chili powder) and stir.
- Pour in the chicken/vegetable broth.
- Add diced tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans and set to high-pressure and let cook for 5 minutes.
- If you want to thicken the chili, mix together 1-2 tsp of flour with equal parts water. Add to chili.
- Garnish with squeezed lime, cheese and/or cilantro and serve!