When you think of Valentines Day, what comes to mind? Roses, chocolates, overpriced high-end dinners… Don’t get me wrong, I love me some quality dark chocolate, but roses aren’t really my thing and all the good restaurants in DC are always booked weeks in advance on Valentines Day anyway.
My husband and I went to one of the top Italian restaurants in DC for Valentines Day last year. We should’ve known better – it’s the kind of place that can be usually be found swarming with politicians and celebrities on a regular basis. Valentines Day was certainly no exception! I’ll never forget waiting for a table for almost an hour after our reservation as the hostesses escorted Ambassadors and other DC-types to their tables as we got shoved to the side. *Rolls eyes*
I love the DC restaurant scene, but Valentines Day is not my favorite day for dining out. All that said, this year we’re changing it up and planning to stay in and cook instead. As I was searching the internet for Valentines Day recipe ideas, I came across so many fun ideas that incorporate red and pink ingredients like beets, tomatoes, raspberries, and strawberries, so figured I’d compile them and share!
Breakfast + Lunch Ideas
- Love toast from Good Housekeeping. (So cute!)
- Heart-shaped high protein oatmeal pancakes from Simple Healthy Kitchen.
- Pomegranate grapefruit salad from Etsy. Let’s be honest, this salad is absolutely stunning.
- If you live in Japan, you can apparently get heart-shaped watermelons…
- Heart-shaped caprese salad from Harry and Lexy.
- Sweetheart salad with heart-shaped beets, from Martha Stewart.
- Heart-shaped sushi from Holly’s Helpings.
- Paprika goat cheese heart-shaped slices.
- Really heart-shaping anything…!