I already know I’m going to regret saying this and jinxing myself, but I’ve somehow managed to stay healthy so far this winter and avoid catching any of the stubborn cold or flu viruses going around!
*Knocks on wood…*
Despite most of my coworkers getting hit with a bad case of the flu this year, I’m somehow managing to avoid it all. I don’t have any secrets up my sleeve that have kept me healthy, but I do have a pretty solid self-care routine and try to maintain daily healthy habits that keep my immune system strong. Whether I’m trying to avoid getting sick or quickly get over a virus, I always follow this list.
When I was younger I used to get sick ALL of the time. I seriously had a new cold virus every other week… it was awful. So, I spent a lot of time researching what ACTUALLY works and what “home remedies” have some solid research behind them. So, I’ve compiled a list of all of my tried and true “stay healthy” remedies.
- HYDRATION. This one seems so obvious, but it always amazes me how many people neglect this! You can never get enough water when you’re sick. I keep a giant water bottle at my desk, by my bedside, near my yoga mat, or wherever I am at all times. Also, TEA with honey (especially for a sore throat – need I say more?)
- REST. People need to chill. Seriously, get 8 hours of sleep, take naps, and just do what you can to give your body downtime to heal. It’s obviously not ideal if you have to work while sick, but you’re going to get better faster and be back to being productive if you just listen to your body and get some rest!
- HUMIDIFIER. One thing I can’t stand when I’m sick is being congested and a major contributor is dry air. A humidifier can add moisture to your space and make it easier to breathe. You can also use an oil diffuser and add essential oils like eucalyptus oil! Rather than staying stuffy all winter, do yourself a favor and invest in a humidifier like this one on Amazon,
- NETI-POT. A lot of people are afraid of this, but I SWEAR by it. It seriously clears your congestion so quickly! You can also use nasal drops if it makes you uncomfortable, but if you’re really congested – this may be a lifesaver.
- VITAMINS + HERBS. Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacea, Garlic… I’d put these in the “not sure if they really work, but they can’t hurt” category. I always use them and I also always find consistent contradictory evidence on their efficacy, but… when I’m sick, I don’t mess around. If it might help, I’m sold.
- EAT HEALTHY. While it can be tempting to binge eat whatever’s around the house or just order a pizza from the couch because you don’t feel like cooking, your body will thank you if you fuel it with a nourishing and balanced diet. Pro-tip: If you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to cook a whole healthy meal, just throw all your fav fruits and veggies in a blender for a healthy/immune-boosting smoothie.
Stay healthy, friends!